Tuesday, February 9, 2010

There's a bear in there... and a chair as well...

Despite my best attempts to run away from the Sydney rain, some ten hours up the coast, it followed me and turned Byron Bay in to one big puddle. Oh well! We made the most of the doom and gloom and headed to some bookshops and drank far too many milkshakes. No regrets on my end.

I spied a book in the cooking section with a gorgeous gingham spine (what initially attracted me to it) titled "She's Leaving Home". Inside is page after page of delicious recipes lovingly collated by Monica Trapaga (yes... that's right, the Play School presenter, friend of Big Ted and Jemima. I liked Benita most... but Monica a close second) for her daughter as she moved out of home. It is a sweet book to guide her on her way and keep her well fed as she embarks on her independent life. If you could hug a book and not look mad doing it, I'd want to give this one a cuddle (I may or may note have already... the cover is padded, I don't think this is a coincidence).

Each page is gorgeous - delicate illustrations, personal blurbs about each recipe, collages of photos and fabrics... my favourite is a page dedicated entirely to sandwiches made out of buttons and wool. It's probably one of those things you need to see to appreciate... doesn't exactly translate in words huh? Anyway, if you're in the market for a cookbook or a killer gift for a friend, I can't recommend this warmly enough. Now what's the time on the rocket clock? Please let it be home time....

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, this is cute! I picked it up in a shop the other day. Have you ever been to her store in Summer Hill? It's pretty cute and she stocks some great vintage collectables and stationary. Worth a look if you're ever in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was reading this on her site - reclaim i think it's called yeah? i'll definitely have to pop in some time...

    ReplyDelete